|Nobody Cares Unless You're Pretty or Dying|
|Released||December 24, 2013|
|Recorded||August 2012 - December 5, 2013|
|Genre||Hardcore Pop (combination of Punk Rock, Post-Punk, Alternative Rock, Art Punk, Noise Pop, Noise Rock, Power Pop, Experimental)|
|ThornBrain music chronology|
ThornBrain is Really Bad at This - The Best of the Worst (2009 - 2011)
Nobody Cares Unless You're Pretty Or Dying is the second album by ThornBrain. It is his first album with entirely original material, and it is his first album for purchase. A free companion compilation, Spider, was released on December 1st to promote it. The album takes its title from an anonymous piece of graffiti.
The cover and booklet art was photographed and painted by Francesca DiNanno. The model is her friend Laura Medeiros.
The second album by ThornBrain
A diverse exploration of perception, failure, and idiocy - with guitars.
Hardcore Pop: Punk - Melody - Noise - Humanity
All lyrics and music written by Austin Scholl
- "Let's Make a Martyr"
- "What a Way to Go"
- "Get Out of the House"
- "My Parents Died and Everyone Loves Me"
- "My New Legs/Are You Happy Now"
- "Hang On, I Got This"
- "Don't Hear Me"
- "I'm Your Victim"
- "Edged Out"
- "A More Traditional Love Song"
- "All the Wrong Friends"
- "I Forgot to Tell Them the Bridge is Out"
- "There for Me" (Includes "Spider" as a hidden track)
"Go buy ThornBrain's new album too. It'll make you really depressed and commit suicide...but in a fun way!" - MrVorhias
- The album was born out of the canned sessions for Geizhals, which would have included more complex songs than Thorn's first album, BlackholeWhitespace. However only one song was recorded before motivation dwindled. Thorn instead began writing simplified, Punk-inspired music that would be easy to record and less fussy. Sessions were much more successful as a result.
- "What a Way to Go", "My New Legs", "I'm Your Victim", "Shake", "Tribalism", and "Get Out of the House" were all originally planned for the shelved album Geizhals. "My New Legs" and "I'm Your Victim" were the only ones not to retain their intended styles.
- "There for Me" is a re-recording. It was one of Thorn's favourite and most popular songs from BlackholeWhitespace, but he thought it was sung and mixed poorly the first time around.
- Influences include British Punk Rock and Post-Punk (The Damned, The Clash, Wire, Elvis Costello, The Ruts, The Stranglers, The Adicts), American Punk and Hardcore (Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Hüsker Dü, Scream, The Misfits, Bad Religion, Suicide), various other Alternative artists (Sparks, Foo Fighters, Lush, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Jarvis Cocker, Pulp, Andrew WK, Cheap Trick, My Bloody Valentine, Primal Scream), Industrial Rock (Chrome, Nine Inch Nails, Killing Joke), Ska/Dub/Reggae (Lee "Scratch" Perry, The Specials, The English Beat, The Ruts, The Clash) and many more subtle influences.